Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I stand corrected...It can't always be that romantic


In an earlier post I had stated that the first owner of the Sugar Loaf House had been a river boat captain. I had gotten that information from both Walter and the next door neighbor who had lived there since a child. So, naturally when telling the history of the house to people I repeated what I had heard. Tonight I received an email from Andrew Weil of Landmarks Association Saint Louis, Inc. telling me that my information may have been incorrect.

"I have some interesting news for you regarding 4420 Ohio. It turns out that the home was built by a man named Frederick E. Adams (of Ohio) and his wife Nellie (From Arkansas). Adams was a molder at an iron foundry, not a riverboat pilot. I found them in the Gould's Red and Blue Book in 1929 and then looked them up in the 1930 census. Sorry, I know it is not as romantic as riverboat captain, but it appears to be the truth." -Andrew

Landmarks is a local non-profit that helps preserve Saint Louis' historic places through education. Andrew is a researcher there who has been very helpful with helping guide me through the history of the mound.

Who I am to change history? It was an honest mistake and I am sure that Walter and the neighbor might take issue with this news. However, for my part in this I apologize and kindly defer to the researchers. I encourage any readers of this blog that are interested in Saint Louis history and historic places to check out Landmarks' website http://www.landmarks-stl.org/

Thanks again Andrew!

No comments: